Another Govt Medical College in Punjab at Kapurthala; CM request accepted by Centre
KI Singh/ royalpatiala.in/ Chandigarh
In response to Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh’s personal efforts, the Centre has given approval for the establishment of a new Government Medical College at Kapurthala, besides up-gradation of the existing local Civil Hospital.
The letter according approval for the same has been received by the state government from the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, according to an official spokesperson.
As per the communiqué, the new GMC would be set up at a cost of Rs.325 crore, of which Rs. 195 crore, i.e. 60% share, would be incurred by the Centre. The remaining 40% to the tune of Rs. 130 crore would be contributed by the Punjab Government as the state’s share for the college being set up under a centrally sponsored scheme for establishment of new medical colleges attached with existing district/referral hospitals.
Acceding to a request from Captain Amarinder Singh, the Centre has also cleared a proposal for up-gradation of the Civil Hospital, thereby enhancing its bed strength from existing 220 to 500, with the latest medical infrastructural facilities added to the hospital.
The spokesperson disclosed that the State Government has already identified a suitable chunk of 11 acres of land to establish the GMC, at a distance of 1.5 km from the local civil hospital. Apart from the sum of Rs. 325 crore to be spent on infrastructure, Rs. 50 crore has been set aside for installation of the requisite medical equipment in the college.
It may be recalled that the Chief Minister had taken up the issue with Government of India for setting up a Government Medical College (GMC) and sprucing up the infrastructure of Civil Hospital, Kapurthala, to mark the historic celebrations of 550th Prakash Purb of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
The upcoming GMC is the first-of-its-kind in the Doaba region, with an intake capacity of 100 seats, and would be instrumental in providing quality healthcare and diagnostic services, besides giving impetus to medical education and research in the region.
Notably, there are three Government Medical Colleges already functioning in the State – at Amritsar, Faridkot and Patiala. Another GMC is being set up at SAS Nagar Mohali, and the fifth has now been sanctioned for Kapurthala.