Modern Senior Secondary School runs under the aegis of Saraswati Vidyak Trust has been serving this historical city with sincerity and dedication ever since its inception on the 9th January, 1948.
Mohan Singh, the Author of Saraswati Vidyak Trust, founded the school with a far reaching vision to serve the cause of education in an innovative manner. At that, time the older schools continued to cling to the tradition of separate education for boys and girls. The city needed an independent co-educational high school that would maintain the excellent standards available in the public schools and would also be sensitive to the ever changing concepts of learning. Thus conceived, the school developed its independent formidable character.
The school started functioning in an old rented building with spacious grounds. The first Principal of the school, Jai Chopra started with the first batch of just six students. With a missionary zeal, she set about nurturing the budding sapling into a flourishing and fruiting tree.
After the demise of Mohan Singh, the Founder President, the responsibility of the school fell on the shoulders of his wife Raj Mohan Singh. Like her late husband, she also devoted herself to the welfare and growth of the school .
From October, 1987 onwards, the whole responsibility for managing the affairs of the school was bestowed on Dr. Ravi Singh, as “President” of the school, also a trustee of the Saraswati Vidyak Trust. He holds a Doctorate in international Law. Being a renowned scholar himself, he has a very progressive outlook towards education and this has been a blessing for the school.
Jai Chopra was elevated to the post of Director on 31st August, 1986 while the role of Principal was bestowed on Reena Sophat, who continued to consolidate on the progress made by the school and helped the school to reach newer heights. On 1st September, 2001, she became the Executive Director and Pratibha Sharma took over as Principal. On 30th June, 2005, Gursharan Kaur Aurora took over as Principal with zealous responsibility of steering the school to still newer heights of success and accomplishments. On December 31, 2010 Lt.. Col. (Dr.) R. K. Sharma took the charge of the school as Principal. Shripati Saran Das took over as Principal-in-Chief on June 14, 2012 and left the school on April 01, 2014 and after that Tripatjit Kaur took the charge as Acting Principal and with effect from July 12, 2014 she was promoted as the Principal.
Over the last six decades several new class rooms, Laboratories, Nursery, Home Science Room, a fully computerized Library and a Computer Hall have been constructed. This sprawling complex adequately meets the academic and co-curricular needs of more than 2500 students.
The motto of the school is “KNOWLEDGE IS LIGHT” and the aim of the school is to illumine the minds and souls of its students with the light of knowledge and enduring human values so that they may become good and responsible citizens not only of this country but of the world as well.
Modern School Alumni Association (MSAA) was formed in 2000. Old students of Modern School are commonly known as Modernites. They are from different fields including Judicial, Bureaucrats, Politicians, Government Officials,Business Leaders, Professional, Engineers, Doctors,Media , Educationist, CA’s etcs.
9th January, 1948
The school was founded on this day by Sardar Mohan Singh ,the Author of Saraswati Vidyak Trust with only six students in an old rented building with spacious grounds. Later on, the land and the building was purchased by the Saraswati Vidyak Trust for the school.
28th March, 1955
The school was granted provisional recognition by the Director of Public Instructions (Pepsu), Patiala.
Permanent recognition was granted to the school by the DPI, Punjab.
1st April, 1961
The school was upgraded to a Higher Secondary School.
9th January, 1973
The school celebrated its Silver Jubilee with great fanfare.
1st May, 1987
Another important landmark was crossed when the school was granted affiliation to the Punjab School Education Board for Senior Secondary Examination in the session 1987-88.
Dr. Ravi Singh took over as President of the School and the Chairman of the Managing Committee.
January 9, 1998
The school completed 50 years of its existence. It was a time for rejoicing as well as introspection.
Boys were allowed admission in the Senior Secondary classes
Computer Science was introduced as an elective subject in Senior Secondary (Humanities).
Computer Science was introduced in Std I and IV , a new block consisting of two Lecture Halls, a Biology Lab and a Psychology Lab was constructed.
A new bigger and modern canteen was built in place of the old one.
April 1, 2010
The school switched over to CBSE.